About Me

My photo
I am the definiton of born and raised in Texas. I have lived in Texas for my entire life. There are plenty other places around the country that I have been to, but I must say there's no place like home. Whether it be the the Texas heat, the flat lands, or just the people, this place is special. But enough about Texas. My name is Jeremy and I do not have a specific political ideology. I have voted conservative in a local election but at the time of the last presidential election I wasn't old enough to vote yet. I'm taking Government because it is a required course for my degree plan but I really hope to find out more about what actually goes on in our system.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Evolution vs Creationism

In response to William Gee's post, Texas School Board of Gym Teachers, I have a couple of different opinions.   His argument is very well stated and I agree with his statement that science and religion are two different things and neither are around to disprove the other.  However, I do disagree with evolution.  It is important to know about evolution though as it is a huge part of science and biology.  I'm sure we differ on our opinions because of the way I grew up.  I have always been taught creationism and to believe in a higher power. 
While I feel that kids should get the opportunity to learn both creationism and evolution, I don’t necessarily think that it is a good idea to have it be a course in grade school or to spend that much time on it; the reason being that most kids that have any knowledge of religion or ideology received it from their parents.  Some of whom are very involved and serious about their faith expect for their kids to follow them in their beliefs.  Children as they grow older and begin to find themselves as they strive for adulthood are mature enough to question their own faith and even what they’ve been taught.  However, when younger youth are taught so many different things it can be very easily confused and it can be a nightmare for a parent to handle because the child is getting so much information from so many different sources. 
The best analogy I can come up with is “Spanglish” which is not a real language, but a mixture of English and Spanish.  A lot of the time young kids who learn both English and Spanish at the same time are confused when they grow older and have a hard time separating the two.  This relates to my argument because these same young minds can become confused between what’s being taught at home and at school.  I believe it would just be better off the way it is in school: spending just enough time on evolution to give kids and idea and a background on the content. 

No comments:

Post a Comment