About Me

My photo
I am the definiton of born and raised in Texas. I have lived in Texas for my entire life. There are plenty other places around the country that I have been to, but I must say there's no place like home. Whether it be the the Texas heat, the flat lands, or just the people, this place is special. But enough about Texas. My name is Jeremy and I do not have a specific political ideology. I have voted conservative in a local election but at the time of the last presidential election I wasn't old enough to vote yet. I'm taking Government because it is a required course for my degree plan but I really hope to find out more about what actually goes on in our system.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Could Rick Perry Make a Difference?

Christina Hastings’s, Texas and the Presidency is a positive, opinionated editorial about Rick Perry and his chances at becoming President of the United States.  Currently, Rick Perry is Governor of Texas and Hastings and I both agree that he has done an exceptional job during his term.  Texas is one of the most successful states in the country over the last few years during the recession.  There are more jobs opening up in Texas than almost anywhere else. 
In response to Hastings’s, editorial I feel similar.  However, her commentary seemed very partial to Rick Perry and his campaign which is the main point I liked about the commentary.  It is very important that opinions are thoroughly stated so that the reader knows exactly what the speaker is trying to say.  The editorial could have used more concrete facts that had more to do with his campaign and what he stands for rather than random facts about what he has done as Governor of Texas. 
While I agree that Rick Perry could make a good President, I disagree with the fact that he will get that far.  I’m not even sure that he will win the Republican nomination.  I don’t think that he will become president because his path is too similar to George Bush’s:  A republican Governor from Texas, about the same age, with many of the same views and values as Ex President Bush.  Ever since Bush left office, he has received more and more negativity.  The similarities between Bush and Perry is what I believe will end up to be Perry’s downfall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment